In case you didn’t know, “Nice Cream” has become all the rage these days! And in case you have absolutely no clue what nice cream even is…
It’s basically homemade ice cream made out of frozen bananas and whatever else you choose to mix-in. That’s right, bananas.
I will admit that I was even skeptical at first that a fruit would taste anything like ice cream when frozen, but I was proven wrong. Some kind of freezer magic takes over and completely removes the banana taste and transforms it into an ice cream replica you will never want to put down!
Not only is it easy to make but the options and variations for flavors and toppings are endless!
My children, who all seem to have inherited my unforgiving sweet tooth, are believers as well. And they are not an easy crowd to please!
To get a basic nice cream base:
- Peel and cut 2 bananas into decent sized chunks, then freeze them.
- Add frozen banana chunks to your blender or food processor and puree until smooth and creamy. (You may have to stop the blender/food processor and stir the banana mush a few times during this process.)
- Pour into a bowl and add toppings as desired.
Its really as easy as that.
I have played around with different recipes and variations of this nice cream base and have found that adding 3/4 cups of plain Greek yogurt to the bananas in the blender adds to the creaminess and ice cream texture and also adds a bit of protein to your nice cream.
Still skeptical? Allow me to make a believer out of you with my current all-time favorite nice cream recipe:
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp walnut pieces
- 1 tsp of cacao powder (optional)
- Add frozen banana chunks to blender or food processor. Pulse until you have smooth banana chunks
- Add Greek yogurt to blender and blend until smooth and creamy, usually 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chocolate and walnuts to blender and pulse until desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve immediately
- There are so many variations you can try.
- Try adding 1 Tbsp of peanut or almond butter when you add the chocolate and walnuts for extra flavor!